The following post is based upon the failed assassination-attempt of a Malala Yusufzai, a young girl, from the Swat Province of Pakistan. She is an avid writer, poet, blogger, and has been a recipient of the National Youth Peace Prize. However, her accomplishments have been very controversial, among many ultra-conservatives, specifically, among the Taliban, whom have been noted/credited with attempting to control the Swat Province, for some time now. I’ve only recently heard of this story, in bits-and-pieces, as well as hearing that she was a supporter of Communism, and/or various Non-Islamic concepts & ideas. This is where I’ll will kick-off the post, as well as go in deeper into this story, in the very best way that I can.
Allah states very clearly, in the Qur’an, “And, do not kill someone, whom Allah has made sacred, except via justification.”(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.6, V.151) Also, Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) has said, “There are only three justifications for killing: a severe sexual-offence (like Adultery, Child-Molestation, Male-on-Male Sodomy, Rape, etc.), Murder, and Apostasy.”.(an-Nawawi) Now, with this being said, regarding the attempt on this young girl’s life, certain things have to be made clear, certain questions which really need to be pondered upon intelligently and answered knowledgeably: What proof, from either the Qur’an or Prophetic-Tradition, did those who attempted to kill Malala have, to justify this act? Even if there were some type of justification, to take this young girl’s life, who gave them the authority to take it upon themselves to commit this act? Is shooting someone in the head, in cold-blood, an Islamic, due-process, type of punishment for this person, if she did in fact do something that warrants her death, Islamically? What are the negative consequences of even carrying out this action, which would incur even more negative press against Muslims, which in turn, would incur more fear & hatred against Islam & Muslims?
Now, personally, I doubt very highly that those who pursued her & carried this act out even thought about or even cared, for one instance, about any of these questions, they just wanted blood, because they’re ignorant, foolish, unintelligent, arrogant, misogynistic…all of the above. This ignorant, arrogant, foolish, and unintelligent decision has made headlines, all across this planet. Muslims are once again gonna be accused of being adherents to a religion which justifies the abuse of women & girls…thanks guys, you really did us a big favor…now, the rest of us have to clean up yet another mess of people that we’ll probably never meet in life. And, the irony is that there still hasn’t been any evidence brought up against this girl, for whatever she’s been accused of.
There are actually many examples in Islamic-History, in which people were sinful, publicly, yet they were still allowed to go on, and they were spared, in spite of whatever wrong-doing that they may have done:
1. Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was commanded by Allah to go to Ta’if, a neighboring city of Makkah, to teach the people about Islam. When the people of Ta’if nearly stonned Muhammad to death, which forced him to flee this town, bleeding from head to toe, the Angel of the Mountains came to him, and had asked if he had wanted this town, and all of its inhabitants destroyed. Muhammad immediately said, “I rather hope that Allah will raise from among their descendants people as will worship Allah the One, and will not ascribe partners to Him.”.(ar-Rahiq-ul-Makhtum/The Sealed-Nectar)
2. There was a bedouin, who had came to Madinah, and he had came into the Prophetic-Mosque, and started to urinate inside of the Mosque. Those whom were present attempted to kill this man. Not only did Muhammad (Peace be upon him) prevented them from killing this man, the very first things that they were instructed to do were to allow him to finish relieving himself, clean up the mess, and then, bring him to Muhammad, that he may educate him, about his error.(al-Bukhari & various other collections)
3. There was a Companion of Muhammad (Peace be upon him), by the name of Hatib ibn Abi-Balta’a (May Allah be pleased with him), who had sent a letter to the Quraysh, (the enemies of the Muslims, at this time), revealing military plans of the Muslims. And, the person whom he had given the letter to was intercepted by envoys sent by Muhammad (Peace be upon him), as a result of him receiving revelation about what Hatib had done. Upon questioning Hatib after the letter was retrieved & given to Muhammad, `Umar ibn-ul-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him), another Companion, had wanted to just kill him, for treason. Hatib had explained the reasons as to why he had done this: He had no protection for his family-members, left behind in Makkah, after the vast majority of Muslims were forced to flee from Makkah to Madinah for asylum from the enemies of Islam. But, what had actually saved him was the fact that he was a soldier in the first battle against the Quraysh, known as the Battle of Badr. And, because of the mercy & clemency that was displayed by Muhammad, as a result of his worthwhile contributions to Islam, by fighting the enemies of Allah, his life was duly spared.(al-Bukhari)
This is the whole point of this discussion:
Where in the Hell is the mercy, people?!!! We’re always talkin’ about “how merciful Allah is” or “how merciful Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was”, and this is all-true. But, when it’s time for the Muslims of today to be merciful, to be grateful for the mercy that Allah has shown us, by givin’ some of that mercy back to others, then we always make excuses not to…it’s horrible!!! Even if this girl was out-of-line, Islamically, and deserve whatever punishment, for whatever crime that she had committed, she wasn’t even given the opportunity to repent for what evil that she may have even done-There was no mercy shown to this girl, at all. We have absolutely no legitimate reason to treat people like this. This is mainly due to the fact that had Allah taken us into account, for all of our sins, we would be hell-bound, before we even die & that’s a stone-cold fact!!!
Now, there are some “what if’s” that we, as Muslims, are now gonna have to seriously deal with:
1. What if this girls dies, as a result of her injuries (May Allah forbid)?
2. What if she survives, but becomes mentally disabled, never being able to function at the same intellectual level that she once had?
3. What if she survives, and all is well, but decides to leave Islam & become an Apostate or an Atheist/Anti-Theist, because of her attempted assassination, or worse yet, becomes another Salman Rushdie, Ibn Warraq, Irshad Manji, or Ayan Hirsi Ali, an open enemy of Islam?
Are we even prepared to answer these “what if’s”? And, the unfortunate answer is hell-no!!! We really, as Muslims, need to show the better side of ourselves-These careless, barbaric actions are not at all from what Allah teaches us in the Qur’an, or what Muhammad (Peace be upon him) has taught us. We really need to make a serious change. Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said, “The Muslim is he who protects Muslims (other people generally as well), from their statements & actions.”.(an-Nawawi) Now, since our Prophet (Peace be upon him) has said this, and we, as Muslims, claim to be inheritors of his noble character & adherents to his noble example, then, what in the Hell are we doin’ out here…we really actin’ the Hell up!!!
Point blank (absolutely no pun intended), this should’ve never taken place. And, to add insult-to-injury, it’s things like this, which give the enemies of Allah the ammunition that they want, to intensify their attacks against the Way of Allah, Islam, and it justifies their reasons to attack our Way, and it makes us look really freakin’ stupid!!!