1440, A.H./2019, C.E.
1440, A.H./2019, C.E.
Dhul-Hijjah 25th&26th, 1438, A.H./September 16th&17th, 2017, C.E. I attended a “Cultural-Rapprochement” Conference sponsored by the Muslim World League in New York City, with Muslim-Leaders, Muslim, Scholars, etc. from various Parts of our Planet: this is my Story.
While not ignoring the significance/importance of this Summit-As I listened to the Lectures, Presenations, and so on: there was something, someone especially missing: me…Muslims like me…Muslims who look like me, walk, talk, eat, dance, joke act just like me. Muslims of African-American, Latino-American, European-American descent…we’re not at all represented, as though we don’t even exist as valued Members of the Muslim-World. I want & need to know why, just as we all do. I’ve met, reconnected to Muslims who don’t even speak the same Language as I do…those whom probably never lived in the Western-Hemisphere. I stuck-out like a “Sore-Thumb”, as they say. There was a deep, dark, sense of Isolation, Loneliness, Unwantedness, Dismissal, Indifference, Disrespect, that there’s a “Muslim-World” Conference, Summit, whatever you wish to call it, where a Western-Hemispheric Nation has hosted, yet no Muslims Native/Indigenous to this Part of the World are represented there-It’s utterly disgusting to know that Muslim-Americans weren’t even invited, reached-out to even attend this Event. To keep it Tall wit U: I just crashed it cause I found-out about it on da Humble.
Where’s the Presence of Muslim-America at such a relevant Conference, which claims to focus on “Cultural-Rapprochement”?!!! How can Cultural-Rapprochement even be accomplished when there’s Muslim-Demographics in the Western-Hemisphere not even considered Members of the Muslim-World?!!! Why is the Western-World/the Americas not included/accepted as Parts of the Greater Muslim-World?!!! Why is it that the Muslim-World is only classified as Nations which make-up the Arab-World, Africa, Asia, where the Arabic-Language is common/dominant?!!!
It’s necessary for all Muslims to give intelligent, credible answers to these Questions which I’ve asked in this Article, including the very Question which is the actual Title of the Article itself.
The following is a personal-commentary, of an article, written by a fellow Muslim-Writer/Blogger, Jamerican Muslimah, about this concept, she dubbed as, “Muslim Male Privilege”-This concept is based (directly/exclusively) upon B. Deutsch’s “The Male Privilege List”, as well as Peggy McIntosh’s “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack”-In this article, 16-points, detailing what “Muslim Male Privilege” actually is, which is available on her own blog, under the April 2008 Archive section of her blog.(http://www.jamericanmuslimah.wordpress.com) I’ve made my own personal-commentary, commented on (most, but not all) the 16-points, which I’ve actually emailed to her first, before even placing this into the public-sphere. I wanted to show her some respect, by emailing her concerning my discrepancies about her article, before making a contrary article to hers. So, here it is, exactly what I’ve sent to her via email. Let me make it very clear, as a Muslim-Man, that there is no such thing as Muslim-Male Privilege, especially at the expense of oppressing someone else. No Muslim-Man should feel that being a Muslim-Male gives him the “privilege” to be a tyrant. And any/all those who advocate for this type of sadistic “privilege”, are people whom are guilty, in front of Allah, the Creator/Lord of the Universe.
Here’s the direct-response to Jamerican Muslimah’s article, concerning “Muslim Male Privilege”:
With due respect, most of the points in this article are completely false & unfairly-biased.
1. There are Masajid/Mosques that even I, as a Muslim-Man, have been made unwelcome, just because I’m not Arab, Desi, African, etc. So, basically, Mosque-Discrimination is something that applies to both Muslim-Men & Muslim-Women.
3. This point is only partially-true: Just because someone is a Man, it doesn’t mean that they’re always free to speak their minds at Islamic events, religious-classes, religious-lectures, etc. A lot of times, even if a man has a view or opinion, that he wants to express, depending upon his communal-standing, which Mosque he’s in, which event he’s in, he’ll immediately get shut-down, himself, for challenging the religious-authority, or being perceived as challenging the religious-authority of others “more-knowledgeable” than himself.
4. True, Muslim-Men do try to justify misogyny via Islam. But, what is also true is that Feminism, Western influences, Secularism have most definitely made a very ugly mark upon the minds & hearts of both Muslim-Men & Muslim-Women, all across the Globe.(http://www.garethbryant.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/bothmisogynyfeminismareevilandhereswhy)
5. Muslim-Men get criticized all of the time for quote-on-quote “Imitating the Kuffar”, in terms of fashion. And, by the way, “Islamic-Dress” for men is almost always a religious euphemism for Arab-Clothing. And, there are definitely Mosques which ban Muslim-Men from wearing certain things, which they deem as “Non-Islamic Dress”, such as pants, shirt-ties, etc.
6. There are plenty of Islamic-Scholars, whom are well-known to the Muslim-World, most-notably, `Ai’shah (May Allah be pleased with her). In fact, most, if not all, of the Ahadith concerning the personal home-life of Muhammad (Peace be upon him), were personally narrated by her. And, if it were not for her, we probably wouldn’t have any surviving evidence of how detailed his personal home-life was. And, to note, further, none of the Ahadith, confirmed to have been narrated by any of the Wives of Muhammad (May Allah be pleased with them) were ever questioned, regarding their authenticity.
7. In regards to not finding persons of Islamic-Knowledge whom are Muslim-Women, or Islamic works written by them, then, as an individual Muslim-Woman, one would have to take the initiative to seek those out, herself, just like with anything else.
8. A Muslim-Man should/must be concerned with whether a person giving him marital-advice is a chauvinist/sexist. Typically (with the minority-exceptions aside), a Muslim-Man is not looking to get a ruling in his favor; but, rather, to resolve any issues with his respective spouse/spouses, which he cannot do himself, hence, the need for some type of marital-counseling.
9. Every marriage-counseling session is as different as the persons seeking out the marriage-counseling. So, to paint that scenario with just one coat of paint, is very unfair.
12. Muslim-Men, as well as Muslim-Women struggle in this regard, to standup, for what Allah has established within Islam, and, we both face stringent opposition in this regard, respectively, regardless of our genders.
13. One, it seems that you’re in fact mocking the Islamic-allowance of a Muslim-Man to have more than one wife, which would mean that you are mocking Allah, in the process, because the only reason how & why Muslim-Men are ever allowed to have multiple-wives is because it has been thoroughly established via revelation (i.e. the Qur’an & Sunnah). Two, A Muslim-Woman has the right to marry & divorce whom she wills, it’s just that, based upon revelation, that the modality of divorce for Muslim-Women are a lot different than for Muslim-Men, courtesy of the Qur’an & Sunnah. So, if you have a problem with how/how not a Muslim-Woman is able to annul a marriage, than that means that you have some issue with the Qur’an & Sunnah.
14. No, a Muslim-Man cannot always have rational, real-life, discussions about his sex-life: Imams, Shaykhs, Scholars, etc. Often times (and I know this for a fact, because even I’ve had to deal with this), people automatically assume that if one is not married, that they’re must be either committing some type of Heterosexual or Homosexual offences. It really isn’t as one-sided as you’re purposely trying to make it.
15. This is actually one of the most inaccurate points in this entire post: both Muslim-Men & Muslim-Women have an obligation & duty to be representatives of Islam. Also, a lot of times, even if one is not a Muslim, if you’re living in a Non-Islamic society/Non-Muslim-Country, and you have an Arabic first or last name, you’ll automatically be red-flagged as being presumed as being a Muslim, anyhow.
I, as a Muslim, as a Man, am truly disgusted when I hear about rape, especially referring to cases of children being assaulted. Things like rape in the Muslim-World cause Islamophobes to reinforce all of the classic Islamophobic rhetoric against Islam. We, as Muslims, have a horrible habit of making the Islamophobe’s jobs easier, by doing things that will definitely be used against us. Now, a young girl has been violently abused & killed…and, for what?!!! There is something clearly wrong here.
There is no reason as to why this person, Fayhan al-Ghamdi can just shell-out money, and walk away from such a heinous-crime, as this. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia have truly done a disservice to this young girl, Lama al-Ghamdi, the actual victim/child of this monster. To add insult to injury, this person is a religious-celebrity in Saudi itself. Now, what type of message does this really send to people all around the world?
I’ll tell you:
1. It reinforces the legitimacy of of Islamophobes, anywhere/everywhere in the world, to attack Islam & Muslims, and accuse us of being Misogynists & followers of a “Misogynistic-Religion”. We always tend to make attacks against Islam & Muslims so easy for Islamophobes to do, by doing exactly the opposite of what Islam teaches us.
2. It tells people that as long as you’re in good with the Saudi-Kingdom, you can basically get away with whatever you want, and only have to cash-out, in order to avoid any form of true justice. It reinforces the hypocrisy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, as a 1/2-ass religious-state, where in fact, it’s nothing more than an in-house, all-boys club of a country, hell-bent on religious domination within the Muslim-World, using al-Makkah, al-Madinah, Clerics, and Petroleum as their trump-cards.
3. It sends the message of as long as we do it, it’s okay; but no one else get do it, except us. If this person had not been a religious-cleric, had not been a native subject/national of Saudi Arabia, had not been an Arab, had not been a high-profile/wealthy/powerful foreigner, then this person would definitely had been executed…ASAP And, this shows you the extremities of how ethnic/family-connections, as well as race play out when it comes to administering “justice” in Saudi Arabia.
4. It sends a clear message to even the subjects/residents of the Kingdom that justice is extremely relative. And, as we all know that, as I say this quite often, “If Justice is relative, then it’s not Justice at all…it’s Hypocrisy.”.
May Allah forgive the Muslim-World, for dropping-the-ball, in regards to allowing Rape & any/all other atrocities to occur, unchecked, in this Mundane, around the world…May Allah give Muslims/Men the integrity & strength to thwart Rape & any/all other Sexual-Offenses that exist in our world…May Allah make us of those whom stand-up for those too weak & helpless to stand-up for themselves…May Allah make us of those whom truly live by what He has sent down via revelation (the Qur’an & Prophetic-Wisdom), to be firm upon that & let it guide our lives, so that we can improve both our lives & the lives of others…May Allah make us of those whom are gentle with the innocent & harsh with the guilty…May Allah make us of those whom are treat others justly & seek-out justice for all…AMEN
The recent attacks on U.S. Embassies in the Muslim-World, mainly in the Mideast, as a result of numerous negative, propaganda, short-films, caricatures, cartoons, pamphlets, novels, books, movies, shows, etc. negatively portraying Muhammad (Peace be upon him), has incited immense violence all across the Muslim-World, particularly, in places like Libya, Sudan, Yemen, and several other Muslim countries-Now, with nations like these, in deep-rooted political instability to begin with, as a result of events such as the Arab-Spring & removals of dictators, or by partitions of portions of their nations to make other independent states, of course, inciting religiously motivated violence would give any nation, with interests in this region, particularly/especially the U.S., an excuse to swoop in, play the liberator/saviour card, and at the exact same time, horde whatever resources are available in this country, for their own devices.
This has happened before, and it’s very likely to happen yet again. And, also, since Islam has been seen as a radical cult by certain groups of people, governments, etc., for centuries, it’s of course easy to project attacks upon our faith, while knowing fully well that most people in the Muslim-World are so ignorantly off-based to what the true spirit & practice of Islam really is, that any remote attack on anything or anyone connected with Islam will incite senseless violence. Unfortunately, as well, as ironically, we as Muslims always, in our ignorance feel that we must “defend” the honor of Muhammad (Peace be upon him), whenever people say negative things about him. Well, yes, this is true. However, there’s always a right way of doing it & a wrong way of doing it.
There are some very important aspects of how to deal with things such as this:
-One, obeying what Allah says about how to react to attacks by those who disbelieve in the guidance sent by Allah, and/or those who oppress the righteous, and/or oppose the progress of, or those who cause harm to, those who believe in the guidance of Allah.(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.6, V.34; Chpt.7, V.87; Chpt.11, V.115; Chpt.14, V.12; Chpt.86, V.17)
-Two, learning from the Prophetic-Example directly, referring to how to react to opposition to the progress of Islam by the enemies of Allah-When Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was religiously & personally slandered, or attacked, especially when he & his Companions (May Allah be pleased with them all-together) were in a state of weakness, without an Islamic-State (central Islamic government), in many ways much similarly to how weak the Muslim-World is currently, he never attacked people back. He never fought fire with fire; rather, he fought fire with water. There are authentic reports of people doing & saying mean-spirited things about Muhammad (Peace be upon him), during his own lifetime, right in his direct presence.(al-Bukhari, Riyadh-us-Salihin) He never fought against them, nor ordered their deaths, until after Allah had given him & the Companions (May Allah be pleased with them all-together) the order/permission to meet their enemies on the field of battle.(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.2, V.216; Chpt.2, V.190-194; Chpt.47, V.4; )
-Three, having general respect for all Prophets & Messengers (Peace be upon them all-together)-When is the last time that a group of Muslims (regardless of how radical they are) blew up or burned down a Synagogue or Church? Great question, right? And, why do I pose this question? Well, both Jews & Christians say things about previous Prophets, in their remnants of the Torah & Gospel, which are very slanderous in nature. For example: it clearly states in the Bible (a collection of the remnants of the Torah, Psalms and Gospel), that Lot (Peace be upon him) committed incest, with his own daughters(Genesis: 19: 31-36), that Saul, the first King of Israel as a tyrant(1 Samuel 22:20-23), that David (Peace be upon him) sent a man to the battlefield to die, so that he can have that man’s wife (2 Samuel 12: 9-10)…and, all of these accusations are completely false.(Qasas-ul-Anbiya’) These are just a few of the many examples of slander against Prophets; yet, the Muslims only piss & moan when people talk smack about Muhammad (Peace be upon him)-What happened to standing up to defend the honor of any & all Prophets (Peace be upon them all-together), if/when they are spoken about or mentioned in writings and/or films negatively?!!!
Furthermore, more importantly to observe & reflect upon, when is the last time that a Church or Synagogue has been blown up, or burned down, by Muslims, for associating false qualities to Allah? When is the last time that a Reverend, a Rabbi, or any religiously Jewish/Christian figure been dragged into the streets & beaten to death, for saying that they are the “Children of Allah”(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.5, V.18), or for saying that Ezra is the Son of Allah, or that Jesus is the Son of Allah?!!!(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.9, V.30)-It’s never happened-I mean isn’t it much worse to say something false about Allah, as opposed to a created, thing/a Human being, regardless to whether or not they’re a Prophet, a recipient of some type of revelation from Allah, or a righteous person?(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.18, V.15)
So, since the Muslim-World has never went up in arms, destroying Embassies & beating people in the streets, for someone committing Shirk with Allah (associating false qualities with Allah, which is the worst sin that any created thing can do), then, why would we only do it because of a film-short, filled with obvious misinformation, that is exclusively intended to get an emotional rise out of us, in the strategic hopes that we’ll be foolish & unintelligent enough to behave & react stupidly (which unfortunately we have in many parts of the Muslim/Arab-World), just because of a movie short. To be fair & honest, there have been, historically & contemporarily, so many slanderously produced materials about Islam & Muslims, which the Muslims have said and/or done absolutely nothing about, like all of the Jesus-Movies for example, which portray Jesus (Peace be upon him) as the “Son of Allah”, knowing fully well, based upon the text of our book of guidance, the Qur’an, that this is an obvious lie.
Also, when is the last time that we, as Muslims, destroyed the whorehouses in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, and Oman, dragged the pimps of Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, and Albanina out in the streets & beat them senseless/to death, or burn down the pornography stores and/or newsstands which sell obscene sexual-material (movies, magazines, etc.) which are owned & operated by Muslims from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Senegal, Guinea, Gambia, Mauritania, or supermarkets/stores owned by Bengalis, Pakis, Yemenis, Jordanians and Palestinians, which sell pork, alcohol, cigarettes, cigars, marijuana roll-up leaves, heroin-syringes, crack-stems/crack-pipes Lotto, or put and end to drug-smuggling & money/credit-card fraud-schemes run by Nigerians, and all of these various other types of vices that people all over the world freely indulge in?!!!
These are questions which we must/need to ask ourselves & also find the answers to!!!