1440, A.H./2019, C.E.
1440, A.H./2019, C.E.
The Bilāl Movie is actually a Sucka-Emcee Production: Bilāl ibn-Rabāh (May Allah be pleased with him) actually was Arab via his Father Rabāh, from Banī-Jumah, one of the Families of Quraysh, making Bilāl Tribally-Related to Muhammad (Peace be upon him).(The Sealed-Nectar) The mere fact that Rabāh is neither casted, mentioned, nor even referenced directly/by Name within the Film truly says a lot, as per the Agenda of the Producers of this Film: to do exactly what the Pagan Arabs did to Bilāl, which was to deny him his Arabness & replace it with Blackness. I’ll speak more on this-The Reason why Blackness was imposed upon Bilāl is because as a Slave (prior to his Liberation) he had 0-Rights, not even the Right to lay claim to his own Paternal Arab-Genealogy. This, of course, was due to the fact that the Arabs possessed immense disdain for Abyssinia/Ancient-Ethiopia & its People, resulting from the generational Military-Conflicts between them, based upon religio-political & socio-economic dominance in the region, which of course was imposed upon Bilāl, by virtue of him having an Abyssinian-Mother.
The Political-Discord between the Arabs & Abyssinians occured as a result of the Abyssinians of Yemen, then a Colony of Abyssinia, wanting to divert Commerce from al-Makkah to Yemen via making a Church named al-Qullays: a Mock-Ka`bah, to draw Pilgrims to make al-Hajj/Pilgrimage in Yemen as opposed to al-Makkah. Once the Quraysh learned of this, a Man went to Yemen and desecrated this Church, infuriating the People of Yemen, thereby inciting War…this became known as the War of the Elephant. After the War/Year of the Elephant, which an Abyssinian-Army with an Elephant-Cavalry failed to invade/conquer al-Makkah and were defeated (resulting from Allah casting upon them Flocks of Birds dropping Sijjīl/Firery-Stones [Noble-Qur’ān: Chpt.105; at-Tabarī; as-Suyūtī]), in retaliation, the Arabs of al-Makkah: the Quraysh & their many Allies in turn invaded Yemen. When this happened, countless Abyssinians were captured by the Arabs, including the Mother of Bilāl, Hammāmah, of Abyssinian-Royalty, and Human-Trafficked to al-Makkah-These People became Slaves.(ibn-Ishāq, at-Tabarī, as-Suyūtī) And, this is actually why Bilāl ibn-Rabāh was referred to in a disrespectful way, by Abī-Dharr al-Ghifārī (May Allah be pleased with him)…by the way: the Narration never textually states that he called Bilāl “Son of a Black-Woman”…that was a Commentative Add-On, as is commonly told concerning this Story. This is exclusively based upon Scholastic-Conjecture on part of al-Bukhārī, which this Add-On exists within his Hadīth-Collection of Sahīh-il-Bukhārī.(Fath-ul-Bārī, ibn-Hajr) Ironically, even Abā-Dharr al-Ghifārī is described as being a “Black-Man”, relative to his Dark-Skin.(ibn-Ishāq, at-Tabarī, as-Suyūtī, Muslim, ibn-Sa`d, adh-Dhahabī, http://www.alajamwalarab.com)
This Film also (subliminally) simply is a Muslim-Version of 12-Years A Slave: it reinforces Subserviance, Destitution, Acceptance of Slave-Culture, etc. Why is it that Bilāl is the only “Black-Companion” highlighted/depicted in Film, Narrative, etc. as “the Slave/Ex-Slave”?!!! Why is it that none of Bilāl’s Military/Statesmanhood Accomplishments are ever highlighted/detailed in Film/Narrative?!!! For example: did you know that Bilāl participated in all the known Major-Battles during the Lifetime of Muhammad (Peace be upon him); did you know that Bilāl was the 1st Minister of Bayt-il-Māl/Secretary of the Islāmic-Treasury: the Chief-Administrator responsible for the collection of az-Zakāh/Taxation & distribution of as-Sadaqah/Philanthropy?!!!(Battles Of The Prophet, Lives Of The Companions, at-Tabarī, as-Suyūtī)
The only Reason why Bilāl is still inaccurately portrayed as being “Black” is because he was once a Slave. Had he always been Free, no one would’ve ever attributed “Blackness” to Bilāl. Let’s actually take a look at what the Skin-Complexion of Bilāl actually was. According to Ahādīth/Narrations, recorded in various Collections: Bilāl really wasn’t any “Darker/Blacker” than any other Muslim/Non Muslim Arabs of his Lifetime, as per Skin-Complexion. In fact, it was common-place for Arabs to boast & laude their Dark-Complexions & ridicule the Complexions of Non-Arabs described as al-Humrah (Reddish-White), as well as al-Asfar (Yellowish-White).(Lisān-ul`Arab: Lexicon of the Arabic-Language, ibn-Manzhūr) There also various Other-Colors which the Arabs would use to describe one another as per DarkSkin, like al-Akhdhar/Green…do you have any Idea how Dark someone’s Skin-Complexion has to be in order to be called “Green”?!!! I’ve literally seen People so Dark that they have a Green-Tint to their Skin-Complexions. However, ironically, almost every single portrayal of him in Literature, Film, etc. depicts him as “Shaka Zulu Black” and/or the Darkest-Person around. Like, in the Film “The Message” for example…the Producers of this Film (in both the Hollywood & Arab Versions) purposely casted the Darkest/Blackest Human-Being they could find to portray Bilāl on Screen…the Question is why?!!! Simple, to continue the Pseudo-Narrative of equating Blackness to Slavery & Servitude. Even in the Hollywood version of “The Message”, Bilāl is emphatically called “Black-Bilāl”…Word4Word…that alone should tell you something.
The Pseudo-Narrative of Bilāl is directly paralleled with the Pseudo-Narrative of Sally Hemings: the only Reasons why either of them are ethno-historically falsely-portrayed as being “Black” is because they were both Born-Slaves & both their Mothers were Black (Hammāmah, Betty Hemings: even Betty Hemings herself had a European-Father but cause she was a Slave she was considered “Black”). The Father, Paternal-Grandfather, Paternal Great-Grandfather of Sally Hemings were all White-Men/Slave-Owners. Her Slave-Owner, Thomas Jefferson (who essentially used her as a Sex-Slave) was actually her Brother-In-Law (Jefferson’s Wife, Martha Wayles & Sally Hemings had the same Father: John Wayles).(at-Tabarī; Hayāt-us-Sahābah; Virginia House of Burgesses: British Coastal Colonial Law of Slavery, 1660)
Muslim Matters actually published a Review of the Movie.(https://muslimmatters.org/2018/02/03/5-things-to-know-about-the-movie-before-watching-it-review-of-bilal-a-new-breed-of-hero/) Their Film-Commentary of Bilāl not only reinforces my Point, as per the continuation of a Pseudo-Narrrative, predicated upon al-`Asabiyyah/Xenophobia, but also the Major-Themes of Islām aren’t even highlighted. Once again, the important Narrative of Bilāl has been shamefully compromised, at the expense of wanting to capitalize on “Blackness” being at the forefront of World/US Politics via Libya, Police-Brutality, Racial-Profiling, Human-Trafficking, etc.
Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him), said: “None of you believe, unless he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”.(an-Nawawi) This particular Prophetic-Statement is often unfairly translated as to only apply to people whom are Muslims. However, when taken into greater context, this actually applies to anyone/everyone whom is a Human being, because by virtue of the fact that we are all the Children of Adam (Peace be upon him), that makes us all Humans, and it makes us all equal, valuable, valid, important, within the sight of Allah.
Have any of us really taken a step back, from our very own comfortable bubbles of our lives, to reflect upon how others actually exist, around the World? Of course we haven’t, because, if we had, the realities of what they go through would shake us to our very cores to such an extent, that as People of Conscious, we would compel ourselves to actually make real changes in these peoples’ lives, to help enhance their Humanity & by default of helping them, enhance our own Humanity as well. Because, when we help enhance others, we’re really help enhance ourselves; likewise, when we degrade others, we’re really degrading ourselves.
I’m going to give some examples of exactly what I mean:
1. Most of us, who just stop by & drink from any Water-Fountain that we choose, or just stop at any store/supermarket & buy some bottled-water with ease, really have no idea what it’s like to live in a place where the water is so contaminated that it can literally kill you on the spot, within days, if not hours, if you were to drink it.
2. Most of us go into our refrigerators, at will, to get whatever we want to eat, while in places around our cities, our nations, our planet, their are Human beings, just like us, who literally die from starvation, and this occurs by the day, by the hour, by the minute, by the second.
3. Most of us just go where ever we want, without even thinking that we could potentially be sold into Human-Trafficking style Slavery, or that our female loved-ones could quite possibly/probably be systematically gang-raped, just for stepping outside of their homes.
4. Most of us shop wherever we want, however we want, buying whatever our money can afford, while either not knowing or not caring that most of the clothes, computers, phones, etc., which we purchase, are produced in places where those who assemble, make, these products which we spend untold hundreds, thousands, millions, upon will probably never be able to afford one single thing that they’ve ever produced with their own hardworking hands.
5. Most of us just turn on the heat in the Winter & the A/C in the Summer, in such a very carefree manner, without knowing/caring that there are millions of people around the World, who suffer from heat-exhaustion when it’s hot, because they can’t afford A/C’s & freeze to death, because they can’t afford Heat, and/or whom don’t even have homes to even live in, to protect them from the Elements.
6. Most of us have no idea how easy it is to look into the sky & watch an Airplane go by, and just think nothing of it, while there are people whom are so afraid of anything flying over their heads, because they don’t know whether it’s just another (Military) Airstrike/Drone-Strike, terrorizing their neighborhood, their city, their country.
7. Most of us complain about everything, from not having the “right-job”, to not having the “ideal-house”, while we, as an industrialized-society, especially those of us who live within the United States and/or other G-20 or G-8 nations are wealthier than about 80% of the rest of our Human family, in regards to just owning stuff.
8. Most of us watch the News & tolerate the Media to influence what we think & how we feel about, “Extremism”, “Totalitarianism” “Terrorism”, etc. & have no problem rallying behind Islamophobic/Xenophobic concepts, yet we tolerate the Western-World supporting governments that would, according to unbiased standards, be in fact classified as “Rogue-States” or “Totalitarian-Regimes”, “Extremists”, or “Terrorists”, who condemn their Citizenry to the exact same atrocities which were imposed upon millions of Human beings, in both Europe & North-Africa, during the reign of the 3rd-Reich, during the 1930’s & 1940’s.
Now, one may very well ask, “What’s really the exact point in all this?”…Good-Question…here’s the answer: we, as Humans, have often forgotten what it truly means to be a true Human being. Being a Human being is not only what’s in our DNA, it’s within our demeanor, our decorum, our character, all of the positive things which we can/should exert towards all the Creation of Allah, the Creator/Lord of the Universe are what make us truly Humans; however, when not in line, in sync with positivity, we’re really just as savage, and brutal as any wild beast in any natural environment.(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.7, V.179)
We must all, as Humans, actually care for one another, because, we’re all cut from the same exact Human-Cloth, patterned by Allah, sewn together by Adam & Eve, the Parents of Humanity (Peace be upon them both).(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.49, V.13) Then, we’re really no better, superior than anyone else: it’s only because of our possessions of power, wealth, privilege, etc., that clouds our better-judgement, and with the deception of ash-Shaytan/the Devil, inspires our egos, converting pure humility & confidence into malicious arrogance & narcissism.(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.114, V.4-6) But, if/when stripped of all of that, then, we’re really exactly the same with the same wants/needs, desires, good-nature, pride, hopes & dreams, as any other Human being out there in our World. So, in closing, let’s truly change, improve the way we view members of our Human family, because we are them & they are us.