Shirley Bishop, a very talented writer, in my opinion, has decided that she will embark upon her own writing project, a poetry book. I was very interested in getting to know more about her project, what inspired her to do so & what she hopes to make of it. Here’s her, in her own words, concerning her drive to become a literary-artist:
Poetry to me is the language of the soul! It can discreetly reveal my deepest secrets, it can make some of my harsh and raw feelings sound so eloquent to others. Poetry doesn’t pacify my curiosity, it embraces it! The beauty of poetry is similar to someone’s smile . A person’s smile can mean so many things, joy, strength, nervousness and fear yet it puts its audience at ease. I realized that poetry was my choice of expression when I was about 11 years old. I come from a family that has immense talent (musically), to where I’ve been influenced by significantly. I’ve always been drawn to words, studied the dictionary for personal enjoyment, since I was 3 and I loved the concept of rhyming. I was so fascinated to see how much power words carry, in terms of affecting a person’s mood: this alone became my addiction to word play! I started writing poetry in junior high school. I’ve written between junior high school and high school 4 books worth of poetry. But, sadly my books have all been damaged beyond repair.
With my new poetry project in the making, I hope to accomplish bringing enlightenment to the public, to see beyond the (typical) stereotypical styles of poetry: poetry is not “boring”, it’s not “roses are red etc” and it does not necessarily reflect thoughts of “loneliness”, “sadness”, “grief” or “despair”. It is not a tool to highlight “bad times”, “regretful moments”, or “negative experiences”; but, rather a versatile form of expression, creativity and eloquence: demonstrating how we all can relate to one another, as human beings. I am excited to infuse my favorite genres of music (dancehall, 90s hip hop/r&b) into my poetry: to give my words some edge, give my readers entertainment that doesn’t need to always be in a form of a “status update”. This book is very important to me because it expresses some of my very personal experiences, it shows my creativity of people’s stories that I wrote which can be related to all, and it speaks on the topic that holds a strong hold to many of us…being judged! This book is my chance to show the world what keeps me smiling, at peace, confident, and full of life: poetry!
If my words can bring encouragement to others to deal with hard situations , empower men and women to both know their worth and reinforce people to put their all into their passions in life , then my mission is accomplished. The effects that I would like my book to have on readers are strength, comfort to know I relate to them, self-love, and most importantly a mental escape. So many times to me it seems like many try and compete with how clever or “deep” they can post a “quote” on social media, which to me are empty words. Empty words I say b/c many do so without knowing the authenticity of the quote or perhaps it’s meaning let alone how can you realistically apply that quote to your daily life. With my book, it’s pretty straightforward, we all been thru things most won’t dare to speak, and if you keep looking for answers to all of life’s ups and down, when will u take a moment to actually just live life. Nowadays, with immense popularity of social media and increasing expansions of technology and it’s gadgets, most don’t take that old fashioned approach to escaping mentally which is reading a damned good book! I hope my book can bring that groove back of a simple getaway of the harshness reality do bring.
I would say 10% of the book’s content is from my personal experiences, will I tell you which ones? Nope lol gotta keep the suspense going! The remaining 90% content consist of experiences told to me, observed and moments I wished I had in real life. I strongly believe my work will be well received simply b/c it’s raw in feelings of myself and others. I would like my work to define myself as poet with a neo soul attitude, a jazz of feelings of expression and a reader’s jones for more and more til I can’t write no more ! I would like my work to be respected, enjoyed and even used to uplift others. I do see myself going far with writing as it is my sincerest of talents and a form of art I absolutely love to create! I am hopeful to write a collection of poetry and possibly entertain the thought of expanding my work to film. No matter how small or big of the success that my project will receive, my humility will be in tact and to make a difference in someone’s life for the better is my true aim.
For more info. about Shirley Bishop & her Poetry-Book: