It truly saddens me, so greatly, that there are Muslims whom dare say that it is not necessary to adhere to the Sunnah/Prophetic-Tradition of Muhammad (Peace be upon him) via Hadith/Ahadith (Prophetic-Statements, actions, allowances, prohibitions, etc. which have been recorded, codified, etc.), using the same “following the Qur’an is just enough” argument. Well, I’d really love to know what you’re actually able to implement, or achieve, Islamically, without the usage of the Sunnah/Hadith, because, the last time that I’ve check, there’s the necessity to adhere to the Sunnah/Hadith, in every single affair of ours, as Muslims, and I can definitely prove it.
Let’s get this convo rockin’ wit some “Fun-Facts”:
1. The word Hadith (pl. Ahadith), according to the Arabic-Language, means the following:
(Lisan-ul-`Arab/The Language of the Arab: Lexicon of the Arabic-Language)
2. The Qur’an, itself, the entire canon of revelation, known as “The Book of Allah” is a Hadith…Allah states, within Surat-il-Kahf/the Chapter of the Cave, “Will you, yourself, grieve over their statements/lies, just because they do not believe in this Hadith?”(Chpt.18, V.6), also within Surat-id-Duha/the Chapter of the Morning, “And, proclaim the Favor of your Lord.”(Chpt.93, V.11)…In both of these verses, respectively, the word “Hadith” is directly used, as well as the verbal conjugative derivative of the verb which the word “Hadith” comes from is also used…the verb that the word “Hadith” comes from is “Haddatha”*, which means “To tell”.(Ibid.)
3. Both The Qur’an & Hadith/Ahadith were recorded/preserved during the lifetime of Muhammad (Peace be upon him).(al-Bukhari, al-Hakim, Fadha’il-ul-Qur’an, ibn-Hisham, al-Mustadrak) The Companions/Followers of Muhammad (Peace be upon him [May Allah be pleased with them all-together]) whom were able to both read & write, were commissioned, personally, by Muhammad, to document both the Verses of the Primary-Revelation/The Qur’an, as well as the Secondary-Revelation/the Sunnah, not to be included in the Mushaf/Textual-Document of The Qur’an itself…these persons are known as the following individuals:
a. al-Khulafa’-ur-Rashidun (the 1st Khulafa’/Islamic-Rulers [of the Muslims] after the death of Muhammad [Peace be upon him]):
`Abdullah ibn-`Uthman ibn-`Amir (Abu-Bakr as-Siddiq), `Umar ibn-ul-Khattab, `Uthman ibn-`Affan, `Ali ibn Abi-Talib.
b. al-`Asharat-ul-Mubashshirun (the 10-Companions promised Paradise (by name) during the lifetime of Muhammad [Peace be upon him]):
Abu-Bakr as-Siddiq, `Umar ibn-ul-Khattab, `Uthman ibn-`Affan, `Ali ibn Abi-Talib, `Abd-ur-Rahman ibn-`Awf, Talhah ibn-`Ubaydillah, Sa`d ibn Abi-Waqqas, Sa`id ibn-Zayd, az-Zubayr ibn-al-`Awwam, Abu-`Ubaydah ibn-il-Jarrah.
c. Nisa’-un-Nabi/the Wives of the Prophet:
Khadijah bint-Khuwaylid, Hafsah bint-`Umar (ibn-il-Khattab), `Ai’shah bint Abi-Bakr, etc.
d. Ahl-ul-Bayt/Members of the Prophetic-Household:
`Abdullah ibn-ul-`Abbas (ibn-`Abbas), Khadijah bint-Khuwaylid, Hafsah bint-`Umar (ibn-il-Khattab), `Ai’shah bint Abi-Bakr, Abu-Bakr as-Siddiq, `Umar ibn-ul-Khattab, `Uthman ibn-`Affan, `Ali ibn Abi-Talib, Sa`d ibn Abi-Waqqas, etc.
e. Other various Companions:
Zayd ibn-Thabit (the Official-Scribe of Muhammad), Ubay ibn-Ka`b, `Abdullah ibn-Mas`ud, etc.
f. There’s even an official-account, by Harith ibn-Rabi` (Abi-Qatadah) whom personally asked Anas ibn-Malik whom were the documenters of The Qur’an, during the lifetime of Muhammad & Anas replied, “There were 4 & they were all from among al-Ansar/the Assistants (the 2nd-wave of early followers of Muhammad who helped al-Muhajirin/the Migrants spread Islam throughout the rest of the Arabian-Peninsula, outside of al-Hijaz [the traditional homeland of the Tribe of Muhammad: al-Quraysh, consisting of modern-day Jiddah, Ta’if, al-Makkah, al-Madinah, basically, the entire western-coast of the Arabian-Peninsula]): Ubay ibn-Ka`b, Mu`adh ibn-Jabal, Zayd ibn-Thabit and Abu-Zayd.(al-Bukhari) al-Muhajirun were the 1st-wave of early followers of Muhammad, whom were forced to flee from left al-Makkah, because of strict persecution, by the Pagan-Arabs during the lifetime of Muhammad. al-Ansar gave al-Muhajirin asylum, in their city, (originally) known as Yathrib (later renamed al-Madinah [lit. “The-City”]).(ar-Rahiq-ul-Makhtum/the Sealed-Nectar: Biography of Muhammad)
Now, since we’ve clarified, quite thoroughly, I may add, concerning the legitimacy of the Sunnah/Hadith, then, one has to ask one’s self:
1. How can I be a Muslim, a Muslim whom places his/her trust in The Qur’an, while The Qur’an recorded/preserved, in written/documented, form, yet I reject the Sunnah, and ironically, both The Qur’an & the Sunnah were recorded/preserved literarily, literally, by the same exact persons?!!!
2. If I trust those whom Muhammad (Peace be upon him) had trusted, to document/preserve The Qur’an, then, why would/should/do I have any such issue with trusting these same exact individuals, when it comes to the documentation/preservation of the Sunnah?!!!
Yeah…I know…really good questions to ask one’s self, right…#ThinkAboutIt
I, personally, would really love to have some actual dialogue with these kinds of people, whom claim to be Muslims, and yet completely doubt/reject the entire validity of the Sunnah.