Allah says, in the Qur’an, “As a result of this, We have ordained upon the Children of Israel the following: ‘Whomever kills someone, whom has neither killed anyone, nor has cause Corruption, within the Earth, it’s just as though they’ve killed all of Humanity. Yet, whomever saves them, it’s just as though they’ve saved all of Humanity.’.”.(Noble Qur’an: Chpt.5, V.32)
The following are just some, of the many, startling facts about Suicide:
1. Suicide is attempted, every year, 1Million people within the United States, alone.
2. Nearly 40,000 Suicide attempts within the United States, alone, are actualized.
3. Women are 3-times more likely to attempt Suicide than Men.
As a Muslim, I take great interest in seeing Suicide come to an end. And, even if I never live to see it end, I owe it to Allah, the Creator/Lord of the Universe, to at least do my part, to help prevent at least one less person attempt Suicide. Every year, since 2011, I have made it my business to participate, as a walker, in the annual “Out Of The Darkness Overnight”, a Suicide Walk, sponsored by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, which helps to spread awareness, as well as raise monies, to help others from entering the road of no return, which is Suicide.
Muslims Giving Back, would like to inform you that our organization will be embarking upon our annual Suicide Awareness & Prevention project, known as #Walk4Life.
This project aims to do the following:
1. Give a real face to the reality of Suicide.
2. To help raise Suicide-Awareness.
3. To establish an Islamic/Muslim presence, to allow Non-Muslims to know that the Muslim-Community cares about the issue of Suicide, and regards it religiously, as a momentous & tragic act.
4. To inform Muslims of the reality of Suicide within the actual Muslim-Community.
Now, on to what’s needed, for the success of this project:
1. Sponsorship/Money: We, at Muslims Giving Back, want to raise no less than $5,000, which is intended to cover registration, donations to the AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention), promotional paraphernalia (such as Wrist-Bands: MGB: #Walk4Life, T-Shirts: Muslims Giving Back: #Walk4Life, etc.)
2. Manpower: We need People to make announcements about this project, at Masajid, Schools, businesses, community-centers, etc.
3. Participants: We need People who are willing to actually come join us for this walk, scheduled for June 28th & 29th, 2014, in Philadelphia, Pa
Muslims Giving Back is going to be participating in the Out of the Darkness Overnight Suicide Walk, promoting Suicide Awareness & Prevention, in Philadelphia, Pa, on the 28th & 29th of June, 2014. It would be great if you all could join us in this walk. But, if you’re not able to, at least donate online to our profile donation page, or tell others in the Philadelphia area about this event. Suicide is very serious, especially among our youth. Please support us in our efforts to raise awareness about suicide.
The Out of the Darkness Overnight Suicide Walk is 16-18 mile trek, from sunset to sunrise. All proceeds benefit the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, funding research, advocacy, survivor support, education, and awareness programs – both to prevent suicide and to assist those affected by suicide.
To register and/or donate for this walk, go to:
Thanks in advance,
National-Spokesperson, Muslims Giving Back